Postoperative Instructions for Patients
Thank you so much for choosing Dr. Bidiwala and the team at Texas Minimally Invasive Spine for your surgery. We are committed to seeing you through every step of your recovery and making sure that you have a successful result.
We close our wounds in two different ways: (1) with reabsorbable sutures (Monocryl) under the skin and a purple skin glue (Dermabond) over it or for larger incisions in high stress areas (2) with non-reabsorbable sutures (Nylon, or in some cases Prolene) that are visible outside the wound.
For either type of closure:
- Remove the dressings 48 hours after the surgery.
- You may get the incision wet and wash with a mild soap after removing the dressings, but please pat the incision dry and avoid rubbing it afterwards.
- You may cover the incision with a clean gauze or adhesive patch afterwards if you wish (for example, if your clothes rub against it) but it is certainly not necessary.
If you notice:
- Worsening redness around your incision
- Drainage from your incision
- Any portions of your incision that have opened
- Worsening pain around your incision
- Any fevers or chills.
For any emergencies, please call 911 or go to the nearest emergency department
Please call us immediately after your discharge at 214-823-2052 to arrange your first follow up visit two weeks from your surgery.
We will arrange subsequent follow up visits at 6 weeks, and 12 weeks. For fusion operations and tumor operations, we will arrange additional follow-ups as necessary.
Also, please feel free to call us for any issues that may arise, and we would be happy to either speak with you on the phone or arrange a follow up appointment any time.
Since recent regulations require us to conduct a thorough review of your records before refilling both narcotic and non-narcotic medications, we ask that you call during business hours (830AM to 5PM) for any refills.
Thank you again for choosing us. It is an honor to serve you and your families as you go through the recovery process. If you have any questions about anything above, please feel free to contact us.